About Me

My photo
antrim, antrim, Ireland
Hello and welcome to my blog. If you like flowers and gardens, housey stuff, food and banter, then this is the place for you. I am a decorative artist, florist and maker of things. I sell painted furniture, plants and crafts, through a local retail shop, in my native Ireland, and wedding flowers from home. I am married to a lovely patient man and have a smashing little girl. I blog for the fun of it. Thank you for listening.

Thursday 10 March 2011

vintage linens revisited

A warm welcome to all who visit and an especially warm welcome to those of you who have just found me. In my very 1st post Christmas Crafting I mentioned books by David and Charles. Well I recently bought a couple more because they are adorable and even if you never made anything out of them they are such delicious eye candy, they are worth having. Now I knew the girl who designs the lovely things in these books was something to do withTilda, but I did not realise that she is Tone Finnanger the Norwegian designer, who started Tilda when she was just 25 years old. Wow! What an inspiration she is, everything she designs is gorgeous. I would love to know a little more about her. Anyway I made a few little items from the "Springtime Gifts" to give to some friends and I thought you might like a peek. I had sorted out some of my old table linen and was going to give it away, a fellow blogger suggested I use it to make something so I did. Much better to make something lovely out of a thing that has become unloved!
Now this is what happens when you are not paying attention! These were supposed to be little birdhouse egg cosies but in my haste to make them I failed to notice that they were supposed to have a seam allowance added. Not to be wasteful, I stuffed them with wadding , added some rose oil to make them smell nice, so now they are little smelly birdhouses for your undies drawer. I made them out of a vintage hanky that had been my mum's and I dyed grey.
These little hearts are made from a tray cloth that was embroidered with flowers. The back of them and the pink hearts in front are made from an old pillowcase which I dyed pink. They had old laundry stamp marks on them which I have included. These are scented with rose oil too.
These little geese are made from a cream linen hand towel, a little bit of crocheted lace and a piece of gingham from a baby dress of my daughters finish them off. Wouldn't these look lovely for a Nursery if a few were strung together with ribbon.
Then I just got a bit silly!

8 comments:

  1. Now if it was Easter that forsythia branch with the geese on would make a great decoration. Ours is only just beginning to bud so maybe I have inspiration! Thanks for becoming my latest follower over at News From Italy it is so much appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done for recycling your old table linen!
    Love the tray cloth bunnies...
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you turn something unloved into something pretty! Great! Maureen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. your blog has a lovely name :-)

    http://design-elements-blog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your vintage linen makes, they are so sweet!
    I have one of the Tilda books too, they are brilliant arent they!
    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment - that Sew serendipity looks great doesnt it? I'm just like you, as much as I love the idea of making clothes (and i used to make loads for myself when i was younger and a few clothes for my daughter when she was little)i do like a quicker craft project too - that said, often a simple clothes pattern can be made in just a few hours - in theory!
    Its just a bit more daunting isnt it?
    Gill x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comment - I'll be excited to see your skirt, sounds like you are going for it sooner than I! I wish there were 48 hrs in a day,or I wish I had the energy to fully utilise the hours I do have!Then I could rustle up a few, no problem!
    Have a great weekend!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. All so sweet. Just admiring your 'loves' on the sidebar - I love them too
    XOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Linda, thanks for visiting my blog - what lovely items in this post - I definitely share a love of vintage linens! :) Melissa

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments.....